Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Swing It To Me Baby

So last weekend was sacrificing Halloween/Funk to head up to Stamford, Connecticut for the 10th American Lindy Hop Championships with the Swingers!



Admittedly, I was more than a little apprehensive going, since my swing social dancing still leaves much to be desired, and the very thought of dancing from 7pm all the way till 4am was daunting, in the very least. I mean, forcing myself to go social dancing every tuesday was bad enough, as a newbie lead I was terrified of leading other more experienced dancers.

But I had nothing to worry about: ALHC was a blast. The bigger dance floor meant that I didnt have to worry about people staring and criticizing, real or imagined. And the more I danced, the easier it became, and pretty soon, it was just so easy to ask just about anyone to dance and actually enjoy myself without worrying what moves I should execute next. Plus the music was awesome: we had the Broilermakers, Jive and the Jump play live for us.

Mornings would be spent sleepily dragging our butts out of the comfy hotel beds (where we'd spent last night cuddling - when you squeeze a troupe of 30 people into 4 hotel rooms, thats what you get) to classes which woke us up immediately. Taught by the world's best instructors, we learnt charleston, dips, the big apple, lindy.. and those were just the ones I attended.

Afternoons and evenings provided the opportunity to catch some of the most amazing competitions I've seen. (The one that took the cake for me was this dude who wore a head-to-toe Spiderman costume and swingdanced with his partner to the theme song of the same superhero. At one point, she even lifted his mask and kissed him, just like the movie.)

Interspersing the contests were social dances where the massive dancefloor was opened up. I loved it. Even though I probably didnt know what I was doing half the time, I loved it all the same. Its been awhile since I've been able to dance in a non-sketchy environment. (haha) It went on all the way till the 4+am in the morning, and some old fogeys were STILL dancing when I dragged myself back to bed. Do this for both Friday and Saturday nights and I end up with sleepy eyes and sore thighs.



You have to give it to this crazy bunch of Swingers: they really know how to have a (oh no thats so corny) swingin' good time :)



(apologies for the lack of photos, cameras weren't allowed at the competitions, so I sneakily took the one at the top of this post)

he rocked the party at 1:25 AM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.