Thursday, August 02, 2007

Singapore-ing

Sorry for the looooong hiatus folks, I dont know why, despite my not having anything official to do, am still busy as heck, and getting even less sleep than I do in college.

Just some thoughts on things I've experienced back in the motherland, in no particular order.

Mambo night is the pits. Phuture is way too crowded with sweaty horny army guys (those losers who still believe that flirting entails attaching their crotch to random girls on the dance floor), and zouk is surprisingly packed as well. And the mood only rocks the house when they play those timeless classic songs. You know the ones I'm talking about: Love in the First Degree, Summer Rain, Together Forever.. gosh I'm such an old fogey. Other than those moments that come maybe once every 20 mins, the rest of the time is dead boring, bopping senselessly to songs you dont know, and furtively glancing at everyone else wondering why they know the songs that I dont.

Is there no hope left for clubbing in this world anymore? US had nothing to offer me, the haven of zouk has passed me by... gosh. Perhaps Ibiza might be worth exploring, on Debbie's recommendation!

A visit to a different church has given me a not so appealing perspective on the darker side of religion. I'm sorry, but I think that when pastors use their ministries to glorify themselves, its just such a major turnoff. And I know that many of you probably dont agree that its a fair judgment about the pastor in question, but at least that was the impression I got, the two times I visited that church. And I dont criticize people that easily, especially people who have supposedly given their lives for religion. Just everything he said, how he carried himself was very, how should I put it, egotistical? Egocentric? I guess I get irritated when I go to a church and the focus isnt on God. Its what I detest most: performance for the sake of performing.

And yes, the disclaimer: this is by no means an attack on Christianity. I've been to Christian churches before where the pastors were absolutely wonderful, including GCC in the US. But this, this particular instance has just pissed me off.

A visit to SAJC yesterday to give a talk about UPenn left me feeling veryveryvery good. The cynical part of me would say that its because its such an ego-stoking experience to have all these JC kids ask you about scholarships and Ivy League colleges. But deep down I think its not quite that. Its the glimmer of hope in their eyes when they hear that they are every bit as smart as a typical RJ or HC kid. Its the excitement in their voices when the flip through the Penn prospectus and realize that an exciting life full of opportunities is within their reach. Its the optimism in the air when they realize life is so much more than what we have in our little Singaporean bubble: studying, clubbing, movies, shopping. I honestly do hope that we'll see more SAJC people studying overseas, a domain that's traditionally dominated by these supposed "elite" junior colleges.

Realize I only have 26 days left in Singapore. Even less if you count my week in Hong Kong right after internship ends. Aragh. I'm so not ready to leave yet.

he rocked the party at 8:43 AM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.