Friday, May 25, 2007

Summer Thoughts

So as the pace of life slows down just a bit this summer, finally have some breathing space to bum around, to stone, indulge in time-wasting activities like TV and hanging out, and maybe squeeze in a little reflection.

On the whole interaction with people thing.
So I guess sometime along the way (i think it was in december) I decided that I should really make the effort to talk to people I dont know and am not comfortable with. I've come to the conclusion that forcing myself to be uncomfortable is a frickin difficult thing to do. Its so easy to fall back on the usual singaporean/asian social circle, with their Wharton-ish ambitions and high GPAs and hiphop parties and chinatown dinners. Which isnt a bad thing really, I love 'em. But being here has made me realize that there's so much more to life here. This whole exciting world of good conversations, euro trance music, crazy drunken nights, beer pong and high fives, picnics on college green, liberal arts discussions, Greek cultures, and perhaps, just perhaps, not planning it all from the start, but to make it up as we go along (to borrow a line from Pirates of the Caribbean 3, which sucked, btw)

I know friends who have broken out of the social stigma, and I've seen how they have completely assimilate themselves into the culture. Yet, its weird how, after years of having no problems talking to complete strangers in Singapore, I find it takes quite some effort to break out of that circle of comfort over here. I believe the clash of cultures/slangs/beliefs, the very basis for breaking out of the social circle, are also the same barriers to maintaining long term, lasting, diverse friendships.

There is hope on the horizon however: this summer, with so much less to worry about, I finally told myself to not think so much, and to just "f*** it". I've started talking to more americans, making random friendships both in and out of school. Perhaps, with a little more courage, and a little more effort, I could make this permanent, and I just might achieve what I came here for.

On the education
With every passing day I get more and more convinced that my decision not to do a dual degree with Wharton is the right thing to do. My GPA is sufficient to satisfy my knowledge that I could have gotten in if I had wanted to. But I came to college hoping to gain opinions, to learn how to converse, and to be a whole lot more interesting as a person. With every day that I'm here, its becoming clearer and clearer that a liberal arts education is the way to go.

A sit-in in an Intro to Comparative Politics class this summer opened a whole new world for me. I discovered readings on economics, on market reform, on revolutions, on developments.. it was like reading the basis of what forms up every Economist issue that I receive in the mail but never have time to read. Seriously contemplating a political science major along with my Economics major now, seeing how many of the classes interest me (and double count too!). Am also halfway through working my way towards a math minor (I know, right? Its absolutely crazy. I hope I know what I'm getting myself into)

But, to do a double major and a minor in 3 years would entail a sacrifice of many classes I've really wanted to try: figure drawing, photography, pottery, communications, pop culture... the whole works. Am I willing to give those up in return for a possibly hidden passion/thirst for knowledge?

Aragh, too much to think about. Am going to sleep now, maybe i'll think about it some other time. Doodoodoo..

he rocked the party at 1:25 AM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.