Monday, April 23, 2007

Sing City Part(y) 2

Screw this mushy bullshit. College life is too short for dwell on silly matters of the heart.

I could be doing other things. Like... studying. Or perhaps having a blast of a time in New York for SINGAPORE DAY last weekend!



Held in Central Park NYC, it was the biggest official overseas gathering of Singaporeans I have ever seen, with a turnout of thousands, humongous NDP-style stage and backdrops, and of course, the best Makansutra hawkers specially flown in to provide a much-needed dose of Singapore food after 8 months of greasy psuedo-Chinese American food. I was personally kiasu enough to queue up for bak kut teh, kaya toast, CHICKEN RICE, char kueh diao, the best prata in the world, and Yeo's drinks. You should've seen my euphoric expression when I took a sip of Justea with aloe vera. Omg.

Only regret of the day was not queuing for laksa and famous Adam Road nasi lemak because I was told it would take an hour. Nvm, going back to Singapore soon already.

Pictures!

The frickin queue of 1000000000 people at 10am in the morning. Singaporeans will be Singaporeans, and will queue for free food no matter which part of the world we're in.


No Singaporean event is complete without the necessary gahmen propaganda, this time coming in the form of a booth with corny slogans like "Singapore - a Fun City; Singapore - a Vibrant City" Oh my goodness. Not to mention awwwkkward speeches by certain prominent figures.


Free foooooood.. need i say more?



Seto - the Makansutra dude - SJI pride, baby.


And to complete the authentic Singaporean experience, a Mambo after-party sponsored by Tiger beer held at Club Earth, which, other than the menacing black bouncers, felt just like home. I never imagined I would be doing the retarded hand actions to Love in the First Degree and Summer Rain together with other mambo enthusiasts here in the US. And Tiger Beer! Honestly, you guys in Singapore shouldn't complain about tiger beer. Its so much better than Budweiser and all the crappy beers here.

Meeting newfound friends from other colleges cum potential tour guides/hosts when I visit other States was an added bonus as well. Indeed, as much as I try to assimilate myself into the American culture, I am inherently Singaporean, and this little event provided the much-needed dose of Singaporeaness to my culturally-starved self.

I even got to appear for 2 seconds on Channel News Asia as well. Of course, we had several intelligent things to say to camera, but all they captured was a silly 2-second clip of us yelling "I LOVE SINGAPOREEE!! WOOOOOO!" Why am I not surprised?

he rocked the party at 1:38 PM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.