Tuesday, January 09, 2007

School (for the lack of a better title)

So I decided to blog while I still have a sane amount of work (too insignificant to warrant a trip to the library, but enough to make me procrastinate and irritate the hell out of me, hence the blogging). Am taking 6 courses, which is a big jump from the 4 (easy) ones I had last semester. I can never justify why I torture myself so. Perhaps its me making the most of my tuition fees. (which Im not paying for. Hmm.)

(i should really stop typing in brackets, its such a bad habit I've had since I started blogging)

On the academia front:
Courses are at least much more rewarding than what I took last semester, which is perhaps why Im so reluctant to drop any of them. I've switched around a bit the past week, (which is the bea-yoo-tiful thing about Penn's system, where you get to shop around before settling on a courseload), but as of now i'm taking:
1. Astronomy: the Big Bang and Beyond
2. Business Chinese II (as part of my neverending quest for better and more relevant chinese)
3. Writing Seminar on Social Networks
4. Freshman Seminar on Art History
5. Intermediate Microeconomics
6. Calculus II

I never thought I'd say this but I love Astronomy - my professor's balding and Indian and he sort of seems to be like the one in that famous NTU video, except with better English. I thoroughly enjoyed his discussion on cosmologies of ancient civilizations, plus it'll be interesting to see how I can form my own opinions on the scientific approach i'll be learning to what I already know about the Biblical accounts of Creation.

Interesting perspective raised at how we look at old theories: Greek, Aristotle, Babylonian, etc and laugh at how ludacris they sound today. In a 1000 years, will a more advanced civilization look at OUR theories, what we are so sure to be the absolute truth today, and laugh at us too?

Intermediate microeconomics is becoming more technical, and I love it. I believe it is a calling. Let's hope my enthusiasm stays that way.

On the extracurricular activities front:
Am going through hellweek (ie: rehearsal every day) for the CSA play, which is supposed to be staged on the 20th. Thank goodness. I dont know how much more of this crap I can take. Dont get me wrong, I love the cast, but I hate wasting my time waiting for people to arrive, finish their scenes, etc. And I've done the honky accent so many times I fear that it will become a permanent fixture the next time I order in a Chinese restaurant.

Oh, and The Audition is coming up. Oh my goodness.

Oh crap, I just realized what a narrative post this has degenerated into. And its 11.09pm and I havent done the aforementioned bit of irritating work yet, so I shall leave you for now. Till I am more inspired.

Wait, inspiration has suddenly hit me.

On the lovelife (or lack thereof) front: Relationships seem to take on a certain surrealness in this place, somewhere in between the areas of omg-i-wish-i-had-a-girlfriend and be-smooth-to-all-the-ladies. Its undoubtedly easy to flirt with just about anyone, but a conversation with the unapproachable 'i think she's right for me' girl quickly turns awkward. Cultural differences? Maybe. Or am I just using this as an excuse for companionship, which is so easily interchangable with love in this easy society?

Or maybe Im just being superficial. And anal about things that I know, in my heart, that really dont matter to me at this stage.

he rocked the party at 7:46 PM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.