Thursday, August 24, 2006

Leaving On a Jet Plane (Really)

In less than 24 hours time, I'll be on a plane, half watching some random movie, gazing down wistfully at the twinkling lights of Singapore, feeling the heart stopping sense of excitement, anxiety, and that little pang of sadness when it comes to goodbyes.

I felt that pang today, as I had my favourite ban mian and satay dinner with my dad at ang mo kio, taking in the sights of ah lians and aunties alike squatting on pavements. I felt it as I was strolling down Orchard, passing businessmen who avoid your gaze, tourists who take pictures at the taka fountain (although I dont see why the heck they would wanna do that. Its so damn ugly), the metrosexual yuppie who smiles at nothing at all behind his humonguous shades. I felt it during cocktails with Debbie at Mezzebar, when her requested song "Home" by Michael Buble was played.

Aragh, why do I only notice the little things NOW?

Its the most surreal feeling in the world, being excited at the prospect of a whole new life, culture and (long awaited) freedom, yet being sad at the same time at the thought of leaving so much behind. Its weird seeing all your friends move on with their lives, being involved in dance competitions, hall activities, parties (I dunno how many "I'll be going clubbing with my uni friends tonight"s I've heard this past week).

Its like being in suspended animation while watching the rest of society evolve into something totally different. And yes, I admit that I'm afraid. I'm afriad that when I return, all fresh from seeing the world, that things will change in such a way that I wouldnt be able to fit in properly anymore. That all the past experiences, glories, friendships would be but a distant memory. I would have gained some of my own as well, but I sure as hell do not want to lose what I have right now.

They say going overseas makes you appreciate home more. Yes, its true. Sigh.

Having said that, I'm also wildly excited. I've been dreaming about this day for more than 2 years now, and as much as I say how mahfan it is to start a whole new life ("aiyo.. must apply for new phoneline, bank account, go shopping for dorm room..) I'm actually looking forward to experiencing it all, all part of the take-life-by-the-horns mentality y'know?

I'm gonna have to study amongst the best and the brightest, go grocery shopping, party with the wildest, and do my own laundry (washing the puke off my clothes, undoubtedly), all in the same day. I'm going to have to travel as much as I can, meet new people from all over the world, and sample their food while listening to stories of how someone's parents escaped from the KGB or how they help the homeless in Bangalore. I'm going to dance alongside Koreans, African-Americans, Hispanics and white boys. I'm going to have to speak up in class, despite having not studied for the past 10,000 years, and still engage my international classmates in debate. And honestly, its probably my last chance to have my last grasp of fun and freedom before the reality of Singapore's corporate world hits me in the face. (Well, I've worked a little, and I can honestly say that I'm in no hurry to venture back into the office)

But of course, all that wouldnt mean a thing if I didnt have friends to share it with, friends to call and complain how ugly the girls here are, friends to chill and club with during summer breaks, and friends to visit during chinese new year after we're all old, married and fat. So this post, dear reader, is dedicated to you.

You, who has stood by this blog since its inception 3 years ago, who bothers enough to know whats going on in this silly, crazy life of mine to keep reading, whom I can truly call "lifelong friend". The phrase "Dont forget me" has more meaning to me than you think, so dont be surprised if I tell it to you once too often.

So... in the words of Douglas Adams, "So long, and thanks for all the fish."

(In case anyone's thinking of sending me off with big banners and bouquets of flowers, my flight is SQ26 departing Friday 25th August 2350 from Terminal 2. I should be checking in around 9.30pm. I promise you your surprise arrival will not go unrewarded! Hahaha.. shameless, aint I?)

he rocked the party at 9:19 AM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.