Sunday, June 04, 2006

THAT Ad.

Sorry for the long haitus folks, the packed schedule's been absolutely killing me. Waking up at 7 and coming home past 12 every day just drains the hell outta anyone. Not to mention the late nights pouring over blocking for my upcoming Rapture item. Goodness.

Anyway, I'd like to talk about that NUS ad. You probably know which one I'm talking about. You know: The one with that ang mo girl leafing through university brouchures and going "Hmm, Wharton, Michigan... -SQUEAL!- I got into NUS!!"

Actually, I quite like the ad. Despite what some people said in the Sunday Times today, I dont think its in bad taste at all. I think its absolutely refreshing to see something different from the usual scenes of students smiling with their professors at study tables. (I mean, honestly, does that really happen?)

I like the fact that it pokes fun at some typical Singaporean traits, like how a typical Singaporean student (like me) would be really excited at the prospect of going to an overseas uni, or how we ban chewing gum (Yes, the ang mos still find it amazing. I was talking to this guy whom I shared a cab with in the States, and he was fascinated by our laws)

I like it cause it pokes fun at itself too. Now dont get me wrong, I'm sure NUS business is a fantastic school (I'd wanted to enroll there once too), as are all other business schools in Singapore. Hell, with our kind of students, we spoil the market for the rest of the world, at least according to some Korean and Indian Penn pre-freshies I've been talking to recently. However, we have to admit that NUS does not have the reputation of a business school nowhere near the likes of Wharton, Michigan and Stanford. I mean, c'mon, we all know that's a fact.

We're probably too young to have any significant impact on the world (yet). But hey, we're not even 50 yet and we have PRC and Indian scholars dreaming to study with us too. So we're on our way. Give us another 50 - 100 years and I'd daresay we'd be amongst Wharton's ranks. So there's nothing wrong with aiming towards that. And I guess that's what the ad is all about, what NUS/NTU/SMU will probably be like a hundred years from now.

It probably sounds hypocritical coming from someone who's flying off to study in the States, but hey, give our local unis a chance yea. We only get to places we wanna be by aiming high after all.

he rocked the party at 9:10 AM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.