Thursday, May 04, 2006

Will Work for Fun

So here comes the issue of filling up my days with activities. Barely 2 days after returning from the US (ie 2 days ago), I'd come across a stunning revelation: that I NEED to do something useful with my life these 4 months while I'm still in Singapore.

You see, for the past 2 years I'd always assumed post-army activities would be spent doing aimless things I never had the chance to do while in the army. Here's a list of things I'd wanted to do, and the reasons why I CANT do them now:

1. Travel (not enough money.. esp after the US trip, and a Bangkok trip with council + Australia trip with SJI buddies coming up = NO MONEEY)
2. Learn to cook (I never seem to be at home the same time as my mum.)
3. Learn a new language (humph. I should freakin brush up my chinese first)
4. Study econs at MDIS (but I only have 3.5 months left, so cant do anything substantial)
5. Clubclubclubclubclub (no money, all my buddies working, and sick of the whole clubbing thing anyway)
6. Learn salsa (will only be able to take a beginners' course b4 i fly off)
7. Work out. (too damn lazy)
8. Drive. (test is coming up on May 18th!! ARAGH)
9. Learn to invest (keep falling asleep while reading Investing for Dummies)
10. Chill out with friends (all my friends have JOBS)

Which got me thinking: I just cant spend a whole 4 months doing silly, aimless things, (even though I'd really wanted to just 6 months ago), the kiasu (and broke) Singaporean in me says that I need to fill my days and my wallet with a good, solid job. Something that'll give my days purpose, improve my resume, and at least assist me in fulfilling serial nos 1, 5, 6, 9 and 10.

Me, having worked for a grand total of 0 days in my life, realised just how sheltered I really am. School holidays were always filled with scouts, council, dance and exams, while army came right after the 'A' Levels. I talk about learning and living in the "real world" during my scholarship interviews and university essays, but I'd never really gone out there and lived it outside of a sheltered, controlled and predictable school/army life.

Which is why, out of sheer desperation, I trotted down to Recruit Express for an interview for a Starhub customer service job that works OT hours and weekends for 7 bucks an hour. 7 an hour isnt bad for a first job I guess, but the clash of schedules with dance rehearsals and friend meetups has me worried. I'd honestly prefer an office hours job, since I've got nothing to do in the afternoons anyway, but I dont know where else to look for another good, solid job. (I may be a bit pompous for saying this, but I feel I could do so much better than packing boxes at a warehouse).

And so.. the search continues, while the bank account depletes, making that OT job more and more tempting.

he rocked the party at 10:07 AM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.