Monday, January 30, 2006

Dong Dong Chiang

I believe that after 21 years, I have grown jaded about Chinese New Year. I've never been this stoned during the festive season before.

For little runt lionel, CNY used to involve dressing up in bright red clothes, screaming with other kiddy cousins as we raced each other around the house, making a mess with yusheng as our poor parents tried to get us to eat. After which, happily indulging in the feeling of holding more than $50 all at once for the first time in ang pao money. Oh yes, and getting to stuff my face in pineapple tarts without fear of getting fat.

Today, cny is really different. Perhaps its the forced conversations and polite laughter that did it for me. I dunno when I stopped playing with the kids and joined the adult table, but that was a real big mistake. I'm forced to find topics to carry on the awkward conversations with people I barely know, punctuated with the swigging of F&N Blazt and wondering when the hell I'm gonna get out of there. I've answered all the usual questions about army and studying abroad (refer: 5 posts ago) about a hundred times. Polite laughter (the kind you make when you dont really give a damn about the conversation) is so ubiquitous in each household I visit that Carlsberg could've saved money by filming us. (yes, the adverts still give me the creeps)

Shit. Are we meant to be trapped in this cycle for ever and ever? Where year after year after year we subject each other to the same mutual torture, discussing topics long overused, watching our kids have the time of their lives, while we sip fizzy drinks and smile politely?

Oh yes, and for the first time, I'm feeling fat from all the pineapple tarts. I hardly touched bakkwa this year. Ughh.. disgusted with myself.

he rocked the party at 6:39 PM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.