Saturday, December 10, 2005

Let's Talk About Sex

Aha.. Now i'll bet the title got your attention now, didnt it? Exactly the point I've been musing about for the past few days.

See, on the one hand I caught the credits of this (really retarded) show called Tab TV. While the credits were rolling, the show featured various people on the streets commenting on the vices of teenage sex. There were students, old men, aunties, yuppies, all shaking their heads in dismay and lamenting how the youth of today had lost our innocence and we'd all get AIDS and die or something. I dont know what channel 5 was trying to prove with that show. Maybe they were trying to tell everyone that with Singaporeans coming out of our shells they could be a little adventurous and feature taboo topics. But judging from the sanctimonious responses of those featured, we still have a loong way to go, gah-men.

Okay, i digress.

On the other hand I stumbled across the blog of a certain prominent blogger recently, and her links to various blogs which chronicle active sex lives. From the vivid descriptions on how to do a striptease to the unapologetic acceptance on the commoditisation of sex, they were really interesting reads. New perspectives came to light too. Like how humans were all meant to have sex, and how our genitalia werent any different before or after a certificate. Interesting huh? I never thought of it that way.

I've always viewed sex as a clear cut kinda thing. Being a Catholic, pre-marital sex was never an option because when I DO marry someone I'd like to know that she's still a virgin and thus I should probably do the same for her. But suppose I found out that she's screwed a few people, would it really matter that much to me? Would it change how faithful she'd be, or change her feelings at all? When people marry, sex isnt the focus, so I doubt sex would do much to change the love that caused them to get hitched in the first place.

Dan Brown highlighted in the Da Vinci Code on how sex was originally a spiritual experience where one could experience God during an orgasm, but was later portrayed to be a dirty act by the Church at that time in an attempt to portray itself as the only avenue to God. Okay, so the former sounds a little far fetched, but it is possible that society's perception of sex today as a shameful, forbidden act could be a result of a pre-determined perspective which someONE created to entrench himself into power. Are our schools of thought today simply extensions of something someone came up with?

Dont get me wrong here. I am not doubting my faith. I am not about to condemn the Church's teachings just because of a few grey areas. The Church's teachings have brought hope, salvation, value and improved the lives of millions. And that cant be wrong. Still, I am curious about the justification of what I believe in. Surely, we are not sheep who would naively take in everything that is presented to us?

And so although I wont be bumping girls like a rabbit in my free time, I wont be one of those self-righteous people on Tab TV condemning sex as a disgusting act. Because it isnt. It's actually a beautiful union between two people, but just because it happens outside of marriage, isnt going to change much really. (Unless you get AIDS or get the lady pregnant or something, then shame on you for not using a condom.) Still, I guess I wont be having pre-marital sex as a matter of principle and faith, but I wont feel all pious and exclusive just because I dont.

Am I being unfaithful? Nope. I'm just not being naive.

he rocked the party at 8:39 AM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.