Thursday, March 24, 2005

ACPC

The Officers' Creed:

I am an Officer of the Singapore Armed Forces.
My duty is to lead, to excel, and to overcome.
I lead my men by example.
I answer for their training, morale, and discipline.
I must excel in everything I do.
I serve with pride, honour, and integrity.
I will overcome adversity with courage, fortitude and determination.
I dedicate my life to Singapore.


ACPC has just ended, and it was surprisingly inspiring. The whole implication of receiving that sword tonight, and the 2LT rank in a week's time, has suddenly struck me. It sounds a little corny, but the fact that men in the Commando formation are going to entrust me with their very lives, and look to me for leadership and to "make things happen", really is a big deal. Those above me will be counting on me to play a big role in doing the formation proud. Heavy responsibilities are going to fall on my shoulders very soon, and i'm actually going to have to undertake them, since there will be serious implications if i dont. In short, its a scary thought that i'm going to have to play a big part in the SAF, or at least, in the Commandos, whether I like it or not.

Perhaps then, it is time for a shift in perspective.

I can no longer say that I have the "NSF mentality", to do what i have to do simply cause im stuck in the SAF for 2 years, and if i do it well, then that's a bonus then. I used to think that way, but after tonight, perhaps its time to change that school of thought..

Passion, as Chief of Army elaborated today during his ACPC speech, is the vital ingredient for this to work for me, for my men, and for my commanders. I figure that i did pretty well in school, in scouts, in council, etc simply cause i had the passion for these things, passion which made me go the extra mile to succeed. I never thought that i'd have to be passionate about army, of all things, cause i've always thought of it as a waste of my precious time anyway.

But perhaps now its time to stop thinking for just myself, and start contemplating on how my actions, conduct and decisions will affect the lives of many other Commandos. I can no longer hope to lie low and hope another year will pass quickly towards my ORD. It's difficult, but i know deep in my heart that for this to work out, for the men to respect and trust me, i need to be passionate about what i do, and believe in what i do. Its going to be tough commanding Commandos, and meeting the standard of the SAF's elite.

But im up to the challenge. As OCS' School Sergeant Major likes to say during commissioning parade rehearsals...

"GIMMIE!!"

PS: ACPC pictures will be up soon.. Be patient!

he rocked the party at 10:10 AM |

the Dude

-hip hopper at heart-tells bad jokes-in love with his reflection-cant live without noodles-smiles too cheerfully-tries to be charming-hates bad english-speaks bad chinese-cant remember names-thinks he's too skinny-chills with the guys-flirts with the ladies (he wishes)-collects experiences-blogs his life, his experiences and his innermost thoughts for your reading pleasure-
email
facebook

Dance With Me

Old Skool

04/01/2003 - 05/01/2003
05/01/2003 - 06/01/2003
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003
07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003
08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008

<< current

In da Mix

Adri
Amanda
Andrea
Calvin
Chia How
Christine
Cynthia
Debbie
Eugene
Fabian
Felicia
Fiona
Georgi
Jason Chew
Jennifer
Kai-Ting
Kenny
Kelly
Lem
Michelle
Rachelle
Renhua
SAJC Dance

other beats

This page is powered by Blogger.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

credits

Designed by felsy, image designed by felsy, brushes from Vbrush, 84percent and at0mica.net.